5 places you shouldn’t buy CBD oil for dogs
Date Published: 2020-03-04
Date Updated: 2020-03-04
CBD oil for dogs is available nearly everywhere – but that doesn’t mean you should just grab the first CBD product you see on the shelf. Before you buy CBD products for your pet, it’s important to do some research to ensure that they’re getting top-notch, high-quality supplements, rather than overpriced and underperforming oil.
A common mistake when it comes to buying CBD oil for your dog is choosing hemp oil instead. It’s true that CBD oil comes from either hemp or cannabis, but hemp oil is not the same as CBD oil. In general, “hemp oil” is made from hemp seeds, which contain no CBD. Unless a product explicitly states that it contains CBD, don’t assume that it contains CBD.
Unfortunately, Google tends to include “hemp” in all searches for “CBD” – which means many consumers get confused and purchase hemp products, thinking they contain CBD.
To help you, we’ve compiled this list of places you shouldn’t buy CBD from.
1. Buying CBD oil for dogs Petsmart
Petsmart sells hemp-based treats and products for dogs, but they do not contain CBD. Their chews, for example, contain a blend of hemp seed and relaxing herbs, but no CBD.
2. Buying CBD oil for dogs Petco
Petco has a range of hemp products for dogs, each aimed at treating different ailments. These hemp products contain hemp seed oil and are CBD-free. Petco does not sell any actual CBD products.
3. Buying CBD oil for dogs Walmart
Walmart sells some hemp products for pets, but these contain no CBD. Their website contains headers and posts about CBD oil for dogs, leading to their CBD-free hemp products, which is quite misleading for the consumer.
4. Buying CBD oil for dogs Amazon
Amazon restricts the sale of CBD products. Some vendors claim to sell CBD oil that is actually hemp oil, and since Amazon isn’t a single retailer but a platform for multiple retailers, this is unregulated. Many sellers don’t face consequences for selling bunk products.
5. Buying CBD oil for dogs Chewy
Chewy sells hemp-based products, including hemp oil drops, but they do not sell any CBD products for dogs. In their defense, they don’t claim their products contain CBD or use CBD in their marketing materials, but it could be confusing for consumers that aren’t familiar with CBD.
Tips for buying CBD for your dog
Now that you know where not to buy CBD products for your dog, here are some tips on finding the best products:
- Only buy products that explicitly state their CBD content on the packaging. If it doesn’t say CBD outside, there’s definitely no CBD inside.
- Ask your vet for a suggestion. Ideally, you should ask your vet whether it’s a good idea to use CBD before you give it to your dog.
- Look at the lab report. CBD products must be third-party tested by an independent lab. The lab report should be available for you to view online or in a product insert. The lab report must state exactly how much CBD is in the product.
Remember that your pet deserves the very best supplements – so it’s essential you do some research before buying CBD for your dog.