Can My Dog Eat Grapes
Date Published: 2019-05-20
Date Updated: 2019-05-20
Dogs like eating everything we humans eat, but they do have limitations. As most dog parents know, chocolate is off limits to dogs, precisely because it can make them extremely sick. So, what other foods are not good for them?
There are several foods you should not allow your dog to eat. Here, we’re going to talk about grapes explicitly so that you can understand the harmful effects these little fruits can have on your dog’s digestive tract.
Grapes and raisins are highly toxic to dogs. Researchers do not know what pigment or substance causes the high toxicity, leading professionals to tell dog parents that they should avoid giving any type of grape to their dog; that includes grapes with or without seeds and skinless grapes.
Remember, this is not a suggestion. What’s more is that a dog’s age, breed, and size have absolutely nothing to do with the toxic reaction these dogs can face after eating different forms of grapes. And, professionals are unable to tell dog owners how many grapes will give a dog a severe reaction, making it impossible to distinguish when the body starts to respond. It’s best to avoid giving even a single grape to your dog.
Signs & Symptoms That Your Dog May Experience With Grape Toxicity
Signs and symptoms will help you watch out for toxic reactions. The sooner you catch them, the better chance you have at preventing serious illness in your dog.
Some of the most common symptoms associated with the consumption of grapes in dogs are as follows:
What Should You Do If Your Dog Does Ingest Grapes?
If your dog has consumed grapes or raisins, you should seek immediate medical attention as your dog could have a severe reaction. First things first, go to your local animal hospital or veterinarian’s office; if you’d rather call ahead, you can do that, too.
Remember, you should always keep an eye on the severity of the symptoms and how they progress; this will help determine what kind of help your vet or local animal hospital will initiate once you bring your dog into the medical center.
If the symptoms are not yet severe, your vet may suggest helping your dog at home. For instance, your vet may advise you to induce vomiting as soon as possible to get the grapes out of your dog’s digestive system. DO NOT induce vomiting if your dog is having trouble breathing normally. If he or she is in distress, unconscious, or if you’re not sure he or she has ingested grapes or raisins, do not induce vomiting; instead, head to the hospital or clinic to seek help.
Do not perform any emergency attention on your dog if you are unsure of what is going on; leave it to the professionals so that your dog can come home to you in one healthy, happy piece.